All Acting Talent
- Registration form filled out completely online.
- Registration for actors closes 12/1/19, but all video pre-screening must be submitted by 9/21/19.
- Audition slots may be full before 12/1/19, and actors registering may be put on a waiting list.
- Audition slots fill quickly and are given on a first-come, first-served basis. Upload of registration materials by registration close DOES NOT GUARANTEE AN AUDITION SLOT.
- Actors must upload photos/resumes. Your photos and resumes should be 8″x10″ (or other 5:4 aspect ratio image for best results.)
- Pre-Professional actors must be pre-screened. For more information click here
- Registration for Production Personnel closes 1/17/20.
- NO WALK-UPS ALLOWED.
Qualified and Regular Auditions
Regular auditions will occur in the afternoon of Saturday, February 8th; and all day on Sunday, February 9th and Monday, February 10th. Actors must be available for work year-round (i.e. not going back to school in the Fall or Spring) and meet one of the following criteria:
- Have an Master Level degree or higher in THEATRE (MA, MFA, PhD, etc.) by 9/1/20, or
- Be a current member of Equity, or
- Have attended previous UPTA auditions within the last 5 years, or
- Submit an audition video with recommendation from either a current UPTA or TCG company rep. All video pre-screening must be submitted by 9/21/19.
You have 90 seconds to present your material. Musical auditions must include at least one monologue. You have 90 seconds, either way, to present your material. Your 90 seconds do not include the statement of your name and audition number. There will be an accompanist – NO TAPES. You will be seen in groups of 25. Also, for the convenience of the companies, we will be videotaping all non-Equity actors. Pre-Professional auditions will be held all day on Friday, February 7th and in the morning of Saturday, February 8th.
Pre-Professional Auditions will occur all day Friday, February 7th and Saturday morning, February 8th. Actors must be available for work year-round (i.e. not going back to school in the Fall or Spring) and meet one of the following criteria:
- Actor must receive UNDERGRADUATE THEATRE degree (BA, BFA, etc.) by 9/1/20, AND
- Actor must be available for work year-round (in other words, not going back to school in the Fall or Spring), AND
- Actor must have registration validated by the department head of their theatre program, AND
- Actor must be pre-screened by uploading an audition video. All video pre-screening must be submitted by 9/21/19. For more details, click here.
Musical auditions must include at least one monologue. You have 90 seconds, either way, to present your material. Your 90 seconds do not include the statement of your name and audition number. There will be an accompanist – NO TAPES. You will be seen in groups of 25. Also, for the convenience of the companies, we will be videotaping all actors.
Interviews will occur on Saturday, February 8th only. Technical, administrative, and artistic positions will be posted at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. Interviews will occur at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown with sign-up sheets on the companies’ hotel doors. In order to participate in production interviews, you must meet the following criteria:
- Production personnel must be available for work year-round (in other words, not going back to school in the Fall or Spring), AND
- Production personnel must have an undergraduate THEATRE degree (BA, BFA, etc.) in their respective technical, administrative, or artistic field by 9/1/20, OR
- Have registration validated by a registered 2019 or 2020 UPTA theatre, OR
- Have registration validated by a current Theatre Communications Group (TCG) member theatre, OR
- Have attended previous UPTAs, OR
- Be an Equity stage manager.
Acting Call Backs
Call-back lists will be gathered after each session and posted at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. You will sign up for call-backs on the theatres’ hotel doors.
Dance Call Backs
We will have combined dance call-backs at the Sheraton Downtown Memphis involving a mover’s routine, jazz, ballet, and tap. Please bring appropriate attire and shoes.
Additional Talent Guidelines
UPTA has always attracted high caliber talent to its yearly auditions. In order to maintain this high quality, UPTA has instituted a formal procedure by which company representatives will indicate to UPTA those actors and production personnel who perhaps need more training in order to attend subsequent years, even if they meet the stated criteria.
Everyone who meets the stated criteria will be allowed to audition or interview. However, after the audition or interview, if representatives from five or more companies indicate that additional training is needed for specific individuals, those individuals will not be invited back in subsequent years until they have convinced representatives from three of the five companies that they have improved sufficiently to attend. At that point, they will be invited back to audition or interview.
Paperwork will be kept on file and open only to those individuals not invited back and for the company representatives that have submitted paperwork on those individuals. UPTA strives to maintain high quality, and this procedure has been instituted with input from actors, production personnel, and company representatives. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Michael Detroit, Audition Coordinator.